Wednesday, August 16, 2006

EAST MEETS WEST

CALLED OFF
so my plan 2 Beijing is off, why? I simply rejected the offer. It all sounded just fair actually but tolerable...until problems start to occur.

benefits...
in terms of benefits... I really dun like da way how China works. They dun haf good working systems outlining pay, benefits etc. I haf to ask em or even suggest to them wut it should be. In the end, they say "sorry, china has nothing like that"...

attitude
so i'm willing to suffer a bit for a better cause. which means a good boss or company. I felt my boss was a decent person at da 1st place...cos how she requested for my help n showed her sincerity by providing accomodation n company. Also, outlined da benefits she would gif me (housing, food). So it all sounds like she's ahem begging me rite? So we requesting med insurance coverage n NOW shes like "can't do that, i'm actually helping YOU to recognize beijing"....do i smell turning the table tactic? I'm begging YOU now, wen was that?

culture difference?
man...dis is a MAJOR problem...din know as a Chinese myself, how different I am with mainlanders. Outlining just a few...

1. They simply can't be straightforward and tell us what they want. They like to talk in hints and simply luv to play mind games. How? Eg. If you're being offered a job (not being hired), that means your employer admires your abilities one way or the other right? That's the Western way.
In China, yes it's kinda the same but they would add sumthing like "ya, so i really would want u to come work ASAP... and oh, I got a friend to help me coming from da States too" or " ya, you're such a great person, ur worth is like priceless... o ya, but 1000 US i can hire someone from local universities." So ur getting all these mix messages like... you like me but then u trash me at the same time?! i dun like guessing games here! Trust me, hire me. Dun trust me, dun hire me~ simple as that!~

2. They simply dun trust anyone and believe everyone is disloyal. So by trashing u is to let u think that they dun need to depend on u and can always find someone better. But little do they know, the more u treat employees this way, the more disloyal they become. It's a vicious cycle.

3. Pamperness is evilness--one day they can treat u all nice, the next day they're all like in a "I dun care" mood. They give u a sense of disorganization and insecurity. Why would they do that if they want to hire you? The point is, they dun really want to hire, they want your money. That is, they can be ur servant anyday if they haf sumthing they want from u. This is the story. I rejected her offer about investing in her company (cos technically we dun trust her company which we haf seen nothing of) After the rejection, that's wen da attitude change occurred. So we're guessing, they were just using dis "job offer" as a bait to get us to invest in their company. If u dun, they start giving u problems, get all laid back n lazy about ur job.

So, good thing i wasn't too hyped up about working in China. It was actually in my career plan. I was just playing along n see wut she gave me. I mean dis job has to be damn good for me to giv up Canada ok?!


The Eastern way is just too different from the Western way. Even though I'm Chinese I have been living in Canada too long that I'm used to being organized and everything being systematic. But the way China works is --nothing should be in black and white, systems are to be built when problems occur. One eye open, one eye shut. So all in all, i rejected the offer simply cos--it's a culture thing. The culture i've been brought up w/ conflicts w/ their culture and i simply cannot habituate w/ it. Sad to know as a Chinese.

I'm not exaggerating, this is not the 1st mainlander i've dealt w/ n i actually decided to gif dis one a chance. They're all the same actually...sigh...how is China ever gonna be strong? There are exceptions like..the rest of Asia haha cos like HK n Taiwan are more Westernized.

I'm sure there are exceptions...prolly one in 10000000.... n wen it's a more international company. Pix says a 1000 words...east meets west

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home